The 2022 World Cup in Qatar is a unique tournament as it kicks off just a week after the domestic season was suspended.
Unsurprisingly, this has led to a plethora of injury issues, given that a three-week injury could completely rule a player out of the World Cup, where he would previously have had several weeks to recover before the start of the tournament.
Some big names are missing, but who are they? And which players are still trying to prove their fitness?
– World Cup news, features, previews and more
– Broadcast FC Daily and Futbol Americas on Sportzshala+
10 famous players eliminated
Karim Benzema (France)
Benzema suffered a left thigh injury during Saturday’s training session in Doha. The 2022 Ballon d’Or winner felt severe pain in his hip while sprinting towards the end of a workout and after undergoing an MRI, it was confirmed he had a muscle tear that would take three weeks to recover.
Benzema announced his departure in an Instagram post.
“I never gave up in my life, but today I have to think about the team, as always,” he said. “Therefore, my mind tells me to give up my place to someone who can help our team to have a great World Cup. Thank you for all your messages of support.”
Also out for France defender Prenel Kimpembegoalkeeper Mike Menyanmidfielders Paul Pogba as well as N’Golo Kante – The Best of N’Golo Kante and, just a few days ago, forward Christopher Nkunku got a sprained left knee.
Sadio Mane (Senegal)
Mane, 30, was injured in Bayern Munich’s 6-1 win over Werder Bremen on 8 November. his lower right leg.
Despite the injury, Mané was included in Senegal’s World Cup squad and was expected to miss at least his first game of the tournament against the Netherlands on 20 November. However, at Thursday’s press conference, the team said further checks on the two-time African Player of the Year indicated he would need surgery and be unable to play in Qatar.
Timo Werner (Germany)
Werner has been ruled out with an ankle injury, his club RB Leipzig announced on November 3. 0 Champions League group stage victory over Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday after an injury sustained in the 13th minute.
“This news is very bitter,” said Germany coach Hansi Flick. “Personally, I feel very sorry for Timo, because he will miss the World Cup, in which he desperately wanted to play.”
Meanwhile, Marco ReusA career has been blighted by injuries more than most. After watching his Germany teammates win the 2014 World Cup at home and missing Euro 2016 and Euro 2020, the Borussia Dortmund forward, 33, will now also have to miss the 2022 World Cup due to injury. ankles.
Florian Wirtz, 18, is also missing. Considered one of the best young prospects in Europe, he was sidelined for at least six months after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the first half of Leverkusen’s 1-0 loss to Cologne in March.
Georginio Wijnaldum (Netherlands)
Wijnaldum’s participation in the World Championships was discontinued after he broke his right tibia in August. The midfielder trained with Serie A side Roma and despite not being included in Louis van Gaal’s Nations League squad for the Netherlands in June, he was offered a World Cup squad.
“Sometimes football can be shitty,” said Roma coach José Mourinho. “In just two weeks, Genie became one of us thanks to his human qualities. [his football qualities we already knew]. Unfortunately, as a result of a very unfortunate accident, he suffered a serious injury, due to which he will not be able to play for a long time.
Diogo Jota (Portugal)
On Tuesday, Jota was ruled out with a calf injury sustained on October 18. The 25-year-old was carried away on a stretcher during stoppage time during Liverpool’s 1-0 Premier League victory over champions Manchester City.
“Really bad news, yes he will miss the World Cup,” said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp. “A rather serious injury to the calf muscle, and now the process has begun. That’s all. Everything else will now follow in the coming days. Very sad news for the boy, for us, including for Portugal. don’t want to waste time [his return]. This will take a long time”.
Rhys James (England)
Chelsea defender James has been left out of England’s 26-man World Cup squad after suffering a knee injury against Milan last month. The 22-year-old was in a race against time to keep fit and in a social media statement, James said he was “devastated” and added that he “genuinely believes” he can help the team in Qatar.
James flew to Dubai to undergo a special recovery program and began running outdoors at Chelsea’s Cobham base, but after regular dialogue between club doctors and the England medical team, the right-back was deemed too risky to travel to Qatar. .
Also missing from the England squad is a Chelsea left-back. Ben Chilwellwho stopped in stoppage time against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League as Chelsea won 2-1 and scans showed he suffered a “significant” hamstring injury.
Jesus “Tecatito” Corona (Mexico)
Mexico manager Gerardo “Tata” Martino was hopeful that Tecatito might be able to get back in shape for the Qatar tournament and included him in Threepreliminary list of 31 people two weeks ago. But Martineau announced earlier this month that Corona would be ruled out.
The Sevilla player broke his fibula and injured the ligaments in his left ankle during a training session in August. Shortly after the injury, the La Liga club announced that his recovery would take four to five months, making it unlikely that he would be ready in time.
On November 5, Martineau explained what has changed since he included Corona on the tentative list: “The decision was made because we had a triple communion with Jesus, where we talked with a doctor, an athlete and me. [Corona] bluntly told me that he was unable to fight for [World Cup] place.”
Arthur Melo (Brazil)
Juventus midfielder Arthur, on loan from Liverpool, was out of action after suffering a hip injury in October. Artur has had surgery in London and is due out until the new year after making just one appearance for the Reds.
Brazilian defender Diego Carlos also missing after he tore his Achilles tendon during Aston Villa’s victory over Everton in August.
Young Lo Celso (Argentina)
Lo Celso suffered a hamstring injury that required the midfielder to undergo surgery during Villarreal’s La Liga loss to Athletic Bilbao on 30 October. The 26-year-old midfielder was replaced and scans confirmed he had a torn hamstring.
Spanish media reported that Lo Celso, who is on loan from Tottenham Hotspur, had exhausted all options to be on a flight to Qatar, including consultations with specialists from around the world for less invasive treatment.
Argentina is also missing strikers Nicolas Gonzalez and Joaquín Correa. Fiorentina’s González suffered a muscle injury in training on Thursday, the Argentine Football Association said, while Inter’s Joaquín Correa was sent off with an undisclosed injury.
Amin Harith (Morocco)
One of Morocco’s most talented players, Harit was injured in his club’s last match before the World Cup. As a result of Marseille’s 3-2 victory over AS Monaco in Ligue 1 over the weekend, the midfielder suffered a cruciate ligament strain after colliding with France’s Axel Disasi.
Manager Igor Tudor said: “As far as we know, this is a very serious injury. He got injured right before the Worlds, we’ve been talking about it all week, I’m really sad.”
“As you can imagine, apart from the physical pain, it’s hard to see the World Cup dream fly away hours before it comes true.” Harith said.
10 Famous Players To Watch Who Continue To Have Injury Problems
Alphonso Davies (Canada)
Paulo Dybala (Argentina)
Son Heung-min (South Korea)
Romelu Lukaku (Belgium)
Raul Jimenez (Mexico)
Calvin Phillips (England)
Raphael Varane (France)
Sardar Azmoun (Iran)
Ronald Araujo (Uruguay)
Joe Allen (Wales)