2023 World Baseball Classic: Full Team USA roster, including Mike Trout, plus 10 notable names on other teams
The 2023 World Baseball Classic lineups were revealed Thursday night as part of a two-hour broadcast on the MLB network. The WBC, which is being held for the first time since 2017 due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, is due to start on March 8. This will be the first time in the history of the tournament that 20 teams will take part in the field instead of 16.
The list of the United States has enough star power. Outfielder Mike Trout, arguably the best player in the world, will take part in a WBC tournament for the first time. Trout will be joined by outfielder Mookie Betts, first basemen Paul Goldschmidt and Pete Alonso, and catcher JT Realmuto. Here’s a look at the player’s entire position on the roster, as well as their accompanying Major League Baseball team designations:
- Catchers (3)Cast: JT Realmuto (Phillies), Will Smith (Dodgers), Kyle Higashioka (Yankees)
- First base (2)People: Pete Alonso (Metz), Paul Goldschmidt (Cardinals)
- Second base (1)Story by: Jeff McNeil (Mets)
- Third base (1): Nolan Arenado (Cardinals)
- Short stop (3)Cast: Tim Anderson (White Sox), Tree Turner (Phillies), Bobby Witt Jr. (Royals)
- Outfielders (5)Cast: Mike Trout (Angels), Mookie Betts (Dodgers), Kyle Schwarber (Phillies), Kyle Tucker (Astros), Cedric Mullins (Orioles).
The USA team’s team members are not so busy. However, the Americans will be led by veterans Clayton Kershaw, Adam Wainwright and Lance Lynn. Here is a full overview of the weapons that will be available for manager Mark DeRosa:
- Right-handers (13)Cast: Adam Wainwright (Cardinals), Lance Lynn (White Sox), Jason Adam (Race), Daniel Bard (Rockies), David Bednar (Pirates), Kendall Graveman (White Sox), Merrill Kelly (Diamondbacks), Nick Martinez (Padres) ), Miles Mykolas (Cardinals), Adam Ottavino (Mets), Ryan Pressly (Astros), Brady Singer (Royals), Devin Williams (Brewers);
- Lefties (3)Cast: Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers), Nestor Cortez (Yankees), Brooks Reilly (Mets)
Team USA will enter Group C starting March 11. The Americans will compete for promotion with teams from Canada, Colombia, Great Britain and Mexico.
You can find complete listings elsewhere. Here is a selection of 10 other notable players who will compete in the WBC for other countries (players listed in alphabetical order):
- Ronald Acuna Jr. (Braves), Venezuela
- Randy Arozarena (Rays), Mexico
- Xander Bogarts (Padres), Netherlands
- Tommy Edman (Cardinals), Korea
- Freddie Freeman (Dodgers), Canada
- Matt Harvey (free agent), Italy
- Francisco Lindor (Mets), Puerto Rico
- Shohei Ohtani (Angels), Japan
- Louis Robert (White Sox), Cuba
- Julio Rodriguez (Sailors, Dominican Republic)
The top two teams in each pool (four in total, each consisting of five teams) will advance to the single-elimination stage.