The head of the Ferrari team, Mattia Binotto, criticized the FIA ​​for the way it spent the last laps of the Italian Grand Prix.

Sunday’s race ended in safety car conditions due to Daniel Ricciardo’s late retirement. The safety car was activated on lap 48 of 53, but due to difficulties in moving Ricciardo’s damaged car off the side of the Grand Prix, laps ended before a full race could resume.

- Advertisement -

Confusion was added when the safety car entered the track in front of George Russell’s third-place car, and not Verstappen’s as expected. It was only on lap 51 that Russell and the 10 cars between the safety car and Verstappen were released, meaning there was limited time to restart.

- Advertisement -

If the race were to restart, it could give Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc a chance to pass Verstappen for the win, but Binotto insists Ferrari’s missed opportunity was not the reason for his criticism.

- Advertisement -

“I think we could have ended the race differently,” he told Sky Sports. “Finishing the safety car is never a good thing.

“It’s not for us, but for Formula 1 and the show, and I think the FIA ​​has had enough time today to act differently.”

The situation was similar to the controversial season finale in Abu Dhabi last year, although in this case the race was restarted because race director Michael Masi had incorrectly followed the safety car restart procedure.

Masi’s handling of the Abu Dhabi race led to his replacement during the winter by Nils Wittich, who was race director at Monza, and Eduardo Freitas, who shares the role with Wittich.

Binotto believes Wittich should have allowed Russell and the other cars ahead of Verstappen to overtake the safety car earlier than on lap 51.

“There was no reason not to let the cars out between the safety car and the leader,” Binotto added. “If they’re just waiting for safety [of the marshals recovering Ricciardo’s car]we know that cars in production now have minimum lap times, so it’s safe to run around the track all the time.

“So waiting that long is just wrong and not good for the sport. After Abu Dhabi last year, we had long discussions about how to improve because the ultimate goal and goal is to try to restart the race as soon as possible in a safe place. And, of course, today it could happen.

“So the FIA ​​has changed a lot in this area, but I still think they need more experience and they should do better because F1 deserves a better job in that regard.”

The FIA ​​issued a statement in defense of the organization of the race, saying that the safety of the marshals was a priority over ensuring the race could be restarted.

“While every effort was made to quickly return car No. 3 and restart the race, the situation evolved and the marshals were unable to bring the car into neutral and push it onto the side road,” the FIA ​​said in a statement.

“Since the safety of the evacuation operation is our only priority and the incident was not significant enough to require a red flag, the race ended with the use of the safety car in accordance with the procedures agreed between the FIA ​​and all participants. the period in the race is irrelevant to this procedure.”

But Binotto believes that releasing the cars would not jeopardize the safety of the restoration process.

“I don’t completely agree because the rules say there are minimum lap times that riders have to keep, so they can’t just drive around the track on level ground, they need to respect those lap times,” he said when asked if there would be it’s dangerous to let cars out because of the safety car.

“There were a lot of yellow flags and at the end of the day they are F1 drivers so I don’t think there is any risk. So, as we discussed after Abu Dhabi, we need to speed up operations, and today we didn’t.”