On Tuesday morning, with the rumor mill running high, Collin Morikawa took to Twitter to reaffirm his stance that he is not leaving the PGA Tour.
“I said the media loves to create drama,” Morikawa wrote on Twitter. “Of course I woke up this morning and everyone thought I was next. Not to say that I told you, but… I told you.
“For the record, I state once again that you are all absolutely wrong. Since February at the Riviera, I’ve been saying I’m staying on the PGA Tour and nothing has changed.”
This is a continuation of what Morikawa said last week at the US Open when he called all the rumors and speculation about the LIV defection a “distraction” for him and his colleagues. Morikawa has made his position clear that he is not interested in joining a Saudi-backed rival league, and no reputable media has reported his intention to defect. However, his name continues to circulate online, and he said friends have asked him to answer the latest rumors.
“It’s crazy to see and hear all these rumors because they are, right?” he said in Brooklyn. “I can read it all, but everyone tells their kids: don’t believe what’s on the internet. This is what we do. That’s exactly what we’re doing now.”
Morikawa, 25, is one of the Tour’s most important players, a two-time world champion, ranked fourth in the world. He breaks away from fifth place at the US Open.
Morikawa’s response comes after several media outlets reported on Tuesday that Brooks Kepka and Abe Unser would be the next players to sign up for LIV Golf. The list of fields for the second LIV event, scheduled for June 30 – July 2, is expected to be published sometime this week.