SUPERIOR TOWNSHIP, Michigan. Emony Bates, a former basketball prodigy who moved to Eastern Michigan from Memphis, has been charged with two felony charges after police found a gun in a car during a traffic stop.
Bates, 18, was unable to stop at an intersection Sunday night and a gun was found during a search, said Derrick Jackson, a spokesman for the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office.
Defense attorney Steve Haney told The Associated Press that the car and gun did not belong to Bates.
âI hope people can hold back on judgment and understand that there is a benefit of the doubt,â Haney said. âIt was not his car. It wasn’t his gun. â¦ We are still gathering facts.â
Bates was charged with concealed carry and altering the markings on firearms. He was released after his lawyer pleaded not guilty. The next hearing in the Bates case will take place on October 6.
âThis is his first run-in with the law,â Haney said in court. “He poses no threat or risk to society.”
Less than a month ago, the 6-foot Bates moved to Eastern Michigan to play for his hometown Eagles. Bates averaged nearly 10 points per game last season as a freshman at Memphis, where he enrolled after reclassifying to skip a year of high school and join the class of 2021.
“We are aware of the situation with one of our student athletes,” EMU spokesman Greg Steiner said. “We are working to collect more details and will provide additional comments when more information becomes available.”
Bates was the first sophomore to win the 2020 high school basketball Gatorade National Player of the Year award, defeating Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley. Detroit selected Cunningham with the No. 1 overall pick last year, two picks before Cleveland took Mobley in the 2021 NBA draft.
Bates committed to playing for Tom Izzo at Michigan State two years ago but later backed out and signed with Memphis. Bates played in 18 games for the Tigers, which ended 22-11 under Penny Hardaway. Bates missed most of the season with a back injury before appearing in two games in the NCAA Tournament in Memphis.
In 2019, as a freshman in high school, the slender and experienced quarterback led Ypsilanti Lincoln to a state title and was named Michigan Division I Player of the Year by the Associated Press. His second season was interrupted by the pandemic and he attended Ypsi Prep Academy in his junior year, his last year of high school.
STORRS, Connecticut. On Thursday, UConn announced that it had agreed to pay former men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie another $3.9 million to settle discrimination lawsuits related to his 2018 firing.
The money is in addition to more than $11.1 million in back wages that Ollie has already paid off after an arbitrator ruled in January that he was wrongfully fired under the school’s agreement with the professors’ union.
“I’m grateful that we were able to come to an agreement,” Ollie said in a statement Thursday. âMy time at UConn as a student athlete and coach is something I will always cherish. I am glad that this issue has now been completely and finally resolved.
Ollie, the former UConn point guard who led the Huskies to a 127-79 record and the 2014 national championship in six seasons as head coach, was fired after two losing seasons. UConn also stopped paying him on his contract, citing multiple NCAA violations in terminating the deal.
In 2019, the NCAA placed UConn on two-year probation, and Ollie was subject to individual sanctioning for violations that the NCAA determined occurred between 2013 and 2018. the purpose of firing Ollie “for a good reason”.
The school argued that Ollie’s misdeeds were serious and that his individual contract superseded these union protections.
Ollie’s lawyers argued that white coaches, including Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun and women’s coach Jeno Oriemma, also committed NCAA violations but were not fired, and indicated that they planned to file a federal civil rights lawsuit.
The school and Ollie said in a joint statement on Thursday that they have settled the matter “to avoid further costly and protracted litigation.”
Both sides declined to comment further.
Ollie, who has faced three years of NCAA restrictions on becoming a college basketball coach again, currently coaches the Overtime Elite, a league that prepares top non-college prospects for the pros.
TUCSON, Arizona. – Atlanta Dream guard Ari McDonald returns to Arizona to work under coach Adiya Barnes.
The school announced that McDonald would be recruiting director, continuing his commitment to the WNBA. She will oversee all recruitment logistics, assist with campus visits, and manage recruitment information and social media content in Arizona.
McDonald was one of the best players in Arizona history after he moved from Washington in his sophomore year. She was the 2020-21 Pac-12 Player of the Year and All-American Player of the Year, leading the Wildcats to a national championship game, which they lost to Stanford.
McDonald broke Barnes’ single-season scoring record and had the highest career average in school history before being selected by the Dream with the third overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft.
COLOMBIA, South Carolina. South Carolina and women’s basketball coach Don Staley canceled a series of home games with BYU due to a recent racially motivated incident in which a Cougars fan shouted insults at a Duke volleyball player.
The Gamecocks were scheduled to start the season at home against BYU on November 7 and then play on the Utah campus for the 2023â24 season.
But Staley cited last month’s BYU home volleyball game as the reason for the series’ cancellation.
“As head coach, my job is to do the best for my players and staff,” Staley said in a statement released by South Carolina on Friday. “The BYU incident made me re-evaluate our house and home and I don’t feel like now is the right time for us to be in this series.”
Duke sophomore Rachel Richardson, a black member of the school’s volleyball team, said she heard racist slurs from the stands during the match.
BYU apologized for the incident, and Richardson said high school volleyball players reached out to her for support.
South Carolina said it was looking for another home rival to start the season.
Gamecocks athletic director Ray Tanner spoke with Staley about the series and supported the decision to cancel the games.
STORRS, Connecticut. Paige Buekers is set to play basketball in the 2023-24 season for Connecticut after recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament injury that kept her out of the season.
Playing on campus for the first time since her injury, Bukers adamantly stated that she would not enter the 2023 WNBA draft and would return to play college ball.
“I’m not leaving. It’s not a question,” Bookers, 21, said Thursday during a media appearance. “People have been asking me, ‘What are you thinking, year five, year of COVID, red shirt this year?’ I don’t think too far about it at all, but I will play college basketball again.”
The 2021-22 season for Beckers was marred by injuries. She missed most of the season with a tibial plateau fracture and a torn lateral meniscus in her left knee. The Minnesota native returned to the NCAA Tournament last spring and helped the University of California Connecticut win a title game in which he lost to the South Carolina No. 1. In 17 games last season, the Bookers averaged 14.6 points.
Buekers is expected to miss the upcoming season after she injured the same knee in a pickup game in early August. Four days later, the freshman national player of the year underwent surgery.
“I was going full speed and kind of trying to stop and there was some contact, not a lot of contact, but he just gave up,” Bukers said. âI knew it was bad. I felt a pop. And then I went to the training room and was very upset. I didn’t know how serious it was, but I knew something was wrong.”
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona. Shane Burkar sits in the front row of the large auditorium as the storm rolls over the peaks of San Francisco’s Flagstaff and into the Northern Arizona campus.
The wall of windows on the north side of the room offers a great view of the lightning strikes and the approaching rain moving through the pine trees.
The building that houses the auditorium, the new $47 million Center for Student-Athlete Excellence, gives Burcar something he never had in his four years as Northern Arizona coach: a first-class facility to showcase future basketball recruits.
âIt really is a game-changer,â Burkar said. âWhen we compete against a (similar) school, no one has better equipment than us. I’m not saying this to brag or say something bad about another school, but no one has that now.”
The performance center, which opened in April, could be the missing piece Burcar needs to get NAU back on track. The Lumberjacks have not competed in the NCAA Tournament since 2000 and have won single-digit wins in five of their last seven seasons.
Burkar was named interim coach in 2019 when Jack Murphy left to coach at his alma mater in Arizona. The Woodcutter won 16 games in Burkar’s first season, earning him a steady job, but were unable to keep up that pace.
Northern Arizona survived the pandemic-altered 2020-21 season like many other programs to win six games and went 9-16 last year with one of the youngest Division I teams.
Lumberjacks may be ready to turn the corner towards a better future.
This year, the team is bringing back all five members, bringing with it a year of experience.
Junior quarterback Jalen Cone averaged 18.8 points last season after moving from Virginia Tech and is expected to take on a larger role. Nick Maines…