The products featured in this article have been independently verified. When you purchase anything through the retail links on this page, we may earn commissions at no cost to you, the reader. The Sportzshalaeditors are not involved in the creation of this content. Find out more here.
Gyms provide everything you need to reach your fitness goals, from the latest equipment to professional guidance. While exercising at home can be convenient, the gym environment and variety of workout options offer a different experience. With a gym membership, you can try out a wide range of equipment and machines to find the program that’s right for you. If you need a little help, the gyms have qualified staff to point you in the right direction, including personal training options with a certified professional and group classes such as cycling or yoga. The atmosphere of the gym can create a high energy atmosphere that motivates and inspires you. There are many gym franchises to choose from, so finding one that suits your needs can be overwhelming. We’ve broken down the best national gym memberships with all the important details you need to help you find one that suits your lifestyle and fitness goals.
Our pick of the best gym membership:
- Best Budget Gym Membership: Blink Fitness
- Best Gym Membership for Van Life: Planet Fitness
- Best Gym Membership for Frequent Travelers: Fitness anytime
- Best Luxury Gym Membership: Equinox
- Best Group Gym Membership: Crunch Fitness
- Best Gym Membership for Lifting: Golds Gym
- Best Gym Membership for Beginners: LAFitness
- Number of locations: 100 locations and more in development
- Group lessons: Group classes at select gyms and over 500 on-demand classes through the Blink Fitness app.
- Care for children: Childcare available in Dallas/Fort Worth
- Facilities: Bright, clean and cozy spaces with changing rooms and showers (with shower gel and shampoo) – Premium members get a free membership to the Blink app, and new members get a free first personal training.
- Expenses: About 10-32 dollars per month
If you’re looking to join a fitness club but are on a budget, Blink Fitness is a good affordable gym option with 100 locations across the country and more in the pipeline. Basic membership starts at $10 per month. With a Blue Gym membership (starting at $25 a month), members get access to virtually every location across the county. The brand is also known for its affordable certified personal training, which starts at just $30 for a half-hour session.
While a Blink Fitness membership can be inexpensive, the gym doesn’t hold back when it comes to state-of-the-art equipment. You’ll find over 80 pieces of equipment at many Blink stores, including treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, rowing machines, and exercise bikes. This budget gym option also offers popular equipment, including selector and disc machines, squat racks, power racks, cable crossovers, Smith machines, dumbbells (up to 90 pounds), and Olympic benches. Guests have access to battle ropes, stability balls, kettlebells, foam rollers, Bosu balls, TRX equipment and resistance bands in the multifunctional stretching areas. There are also functional training areas where members can find HIIT and bodyweight training equipment.
Select Blink locations offer group classes, and premium membership includes a free membership to the Blink app, which offers over 500 on-demand activities including yoga, cycling, dancing, running, and more.
Blink Fitness is committed to creating a “feel good” and “body positive” environment. Gyms are painted in colors that are scientifically linked to uplifting moods, and special lighting fixtures are designed to energize patrons by mimicking sunlight. The gym brand is also committed to providing a clean environment.
- Budget membership and affordable in-person fitness classes
- Wide range of modern equipment
- Free Blink Fitness App Membership with 500+ On-Demand Classes for Premium Members
- Not all places have private group classes
- Not all places have childcare services
- Number of locations: About 2324 locations
- Group lessons: Available in select locations
- Care for children: No child care services
- Facilities: Free Wi-Fi, LED TVs with wireless connection to cardio equipment, changing rooms with separate changing areas, day lockers and modern private showers, hydromassage and massage chairs, free PF app
- Expenses: Classic membership starts at $10/month and Black Card membership starts at $24.99/month with access to over 2,300 locations.
If you’re looking for a gym membership that can be used throughout the United States and beyond, Planet Fitness can be a convenient and affordable option. The franchise has over 2,300 gym locations in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Panama, Mexico and Australia, with many clubs open 24/7.
A Planet Fitness Black Card membership (starting at $24.99 per month) gives you access to all Planet Fitness locations and other perks, including the ability to bring guests at any time. Black Card members can also use massage chairs, hydromassage, solariums and Total Body Enhancement (red light therapy). You can also opt for a classic membership that starts at just $10/month for access to just one gym.
While every Planet Fitness is different, franchised establishments offer state-of-the-art cardio equipment, extensive weight training equipment, free weights, and fitness classes. Many places offer [email protected], a training program that includes small group classes with options such as orientation, stretching, core, upper body, lower body, PF360 Burn (cardio class) and PF360 Strength (strength training class). Also, a popular option is the 30-minute [email protected] circuit class, which uses 10 weight machines and 10 cardio step stations for a full-body workout. Classes can be booked through the free Planet Fitness app or in person. The app can also be used to conduct on-demand virtual classes, track progress, and check club capacity.
Planet Fitness is proud of its cleanliness and has received WELL health and safety rating for facility operation and management through International Well Engineering Institute (IWBI). The rating confirms that Planet Fitness makes health and safety a priority through an independent assessment that considers airflow, handwashing practices, cleaning protocols, emergency preparedness and more.
Planet Fitness is committed to helping members reach their fitness goals in a “Judgement Free Zone®” that prioritizes a sense of community, respect, and acceptance for all members.
- Offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, some offices are open 24/7.
- WELL Health-Safety Rating for Facility Operations and Management
- [email protected] training courses available in many locations
- No child care services
- In some places, payment is accepted only through a current account.
- Number of locations: Over 4700 clubs worldwide
- Group lessons: Available in select locations
- Care for children: No child care services
- Facilities: All clubs have bathrooms and showers, and many have lockers. Some clubs offer free Wi-Fi, solariums and hydromassage beds.
- Expenses: The average monthly membership is around $41 in the US and $53 in Canada.
With over 4,700 locations on all 7 continents, Anytime Fitness helps people get fit around the world. Members gain access to all clubs around the world, making Anytime Fitness a gym membership ideal for those who travel frequently. (You can visit any gym worldwide after 30 days of membership.)
While equipment varies by club, options can include treadmills, elliptical trainers, exercise bikes, stair lifts, rowing machines, free weights, racks, Synergy 360 systems, cable crossovers, kettlebells, and more. Some Anytime Fitness centers offer one-on-one personal training with certified personal trainers or in small groups of two to four people. Activities such as zumba, cardio, body workout and yoga are available at many franchised centers. Anytime Fitness has also developed its own unique group training program that includes the following classes:
- Base: establishes the correct movements and form for the development of physical fitness at a basic level.
- Burn: A high-energy workout that combines cardio and weights.
- Build: A workout that focuses on form and strength building.
In terms of facilities, all Anytime Fitness clubs have bathrooms and showers, many locations have lockers, and some have tanning beds and jetted beds. Some clubs offer free Wi-Fi and cardio TVs to keep you entertained during your workout. The gym franchise does not offer steam rooms, saunas, basketball courts or swimming pools.
Anytime Fitness has designed its brand to be “Real AF” which means providing flexible options around the world to meet your goals and fit your lifestyle.
- Over 4700 offices worldwide
- Members have access to any club worldwide after 30 days
- Classes and personal training available in many locations
- No child care
- No steam rooms, saunas, basketball courts or swimming pools.
- Number of locations: Over 100 clubs
- Group lessons: Each location offers group classes
- Care for children: Childcare not available in most locations
- Facilities: Vary by location but typically include high-end locker rooms, steam rooms and showers with premium body care products including Kiehl’s. Women’s locker rooms are equipped with feminine hygiene products. Spa services including massages and facials, and full-service spas in select locations. Some clubs have swimming pools, basketball courts, and eateries.
- Expenses: Select Access membership starts at around $200/month and Destination membership starts at $330/month with access to most locations.
Equinox is a luxury fitness center that…