The bell cow running back is getting rarer and rarer every season, and 2022 is no exception. During Week 4, only seven NFL runners managed over 70% of their team’s rush attempts. Of those seven, only Joe Mixon and Leonard Furnett also received a target share of 12%.
Most runners share either a rush or a pass, many share both. That’s why we get so excited when it looks like there might be a new bell cow, and that’s exactly what Week 4 looked like for Brice Hall. Against the Steelers, Hall ran over the ball 17 times and saw Zach Wilson’s six targets. While not exactly a 70% carry and it’s just one game, he’s the type of player to look out for.
First, Hall is an elite talent who absolutely dominated the college. In his last two years at Iowa, he averaged 24.6 touches per game, converting them to over 3,500 yards from scrimmage in 46 touchdowns in 24 games. It’s also only his fourth career game, and he’s set a new record in snaps each of the past two weeks.
One big issue for Hall was whether Zach Wilson would keep him in the passing game, and six goals make me feel better even if Hall only caught two of them. This type of player with this role is one of the top five in fantasy football. Feel free to buy higher if someone is willing to sell it.
Now let’s move on to the rest of the week 5 RB preview:
Who got out
The following players are currently not scheduled to participate in Week 5. Here’s what it means:
Numbers to know
- 0 – Zero carry for Texas running back not named by Dameon Pierce in Week 4.
- 51.7% — Snap action for Tyler Allgaier on Sunday afternoon after Cordarrel Patterson fell.
- 56% – Snap Share for Clyde Edwards-Heler in week 4, peak season.
- 21.5 — PPR Fantasy Points per game for Saquon Barkley, top runner.
- 14.9 — The Rams allowed running backs to score 14.9 PPR Fantasy points per game, the lowest in the league.
- 67% – The frequency of Brice Hall shots at week 4 increased from 41% within weeks 1-3.
- 0 — Targets for Nadja Harris in week 4.
- 32.8 — The Texans have allowed running backs to score the most PPR Fantasy points in a game this season.
Matches that matter
Goals of ditching wires