Georgia’s Dumas-Johnson charged with reckless driving Jim Harbaugh: Michigan good place to be despite challenges LSU football player won’t face charges after weapon arrest
ATHENS, Georgia – Georgia linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnsonthe second best player of the 2022 national champions, was arrested Wednesday on charges of reckless driving and racing.
According to Athens-Clark County prison records, Dumas-Johnson was released Wednesday night after posting an aggregate bond of $4,000 to $2,500 for alleged highway/street racing and $1,500 for alleged reckless driving.
The misdemeanor arrest followed an incident in Athens on Jan. 10, a day after the Bulldogs beat TCU 65-7 in the national championship game and Dumas-Johnson made four tackles.
Georgia said in a statement that Dumas-Johnson’s “intended behavior” “does not reflect the values of our program or the high standards we have set.”
“Because this is an open matter involving a student, we are unable to provide any additional information at this time and will continue to cooperate fully with law enforcement,” the statement said.
Georgia is also dealing with the aftermath of a fatal accident following the team’s championship parade. Georgia offensive lineman Devin Willock and Chandler LeCroy, a 24-year-old recruiter, were killed in an accident in the early hours of January 15, while another player and another employee were in the car and were injured.
Dumas-Johnson was selected second-team to the Associated Press All-Southeast Conference team after recording 70 tackles with four sacks, starting every game in the second straight Georgia National Championship season.
Ann Arbor, Michigan. – Jim Harbaugh He’s had an eventful offseason, from interviews with the Denver Broncos to negotiations with the NCAA about potential violations in Michigan’s football program and the firing of an assistant coach under police investigation.
“Compare us to excellence and we’ll lose in major areas,” Harbaugh said Thursday in his first post-season address to reporters. “Compare us to any other program, I think you’ll see that it doesn’t get any better.”
A year after he said the door was closed to a return to the NFL, the former San Francisco 49ers coach spoke to the Broncos about their vacant coaching position, later filled by Sean Payton.
Harbaugh said several coaches on his staff were talking to NFL teams and decided to stay at the school.
“I am one of them,” he said. “People do what they think is best for them professionally and personally.”
However, there was one coaching change. According to documents released by the school, joint offensive coordinator Matt Weiss was fired in January after failing to attend a meeting to discuss whether he had accessed computer accounts belonging to other people.
“I don’t really know anything, and if I did, I don’t think I could comment on it,” Harbaugh said.
Shortly after the Wolverines lost 51–45 to TCU in the college football playoff semi-finals, Michigan announced that it had received notice that the NCAA was looking into potential rule violations in the football program.
The investigation involves inappropriate text messages and calls, including from Harbaugh, to high school applicants during the pandemic-related dead period to contact potential recruits. The NCAA is also investigating whether a member of Michigan’s off-field football staff violated rules by conducting on-field practices during practice.
Harbaugh told NCAA investigators in several meetings last month that he would not accept the charge of unethical behavior, according to a person familiar with the situation. The man spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the details of the investigation were not made public.
Harbaugh told reporters he could not comment on the NCAA case.
Hours later, Harbaugh’s spring training press conference, Ann Arbor Police tweeted a video showing a coach helping an officer clear a fallen tree from the street during last night’s ice storm.
“You’re a good man,” Officer Howard Cooper said to Harbaugh.
“Feel free to spread the word about it,” Harbaugh said. “Don’t think you have to keep it to yourself.”
NEW ORLEANS LSU Wide Angle Receiver Malik Nabers is one of at least 15 people who will not face any charges following his arrest in New Orleans on charges of carrying illegal weapons, court records show.
News outlets reported that Youngsville’s 19-year-old Nabers was arrested on Bourbon Street on one count of illegal possession of a weapon as revelers prepared to celebrate Mardi Gras. He was scheduled for a Mardi Gras bail hearing, but the state dropped the charges on the condition that he surrender the firearm, court records show. According to the documents, after agreeing to the terms, Nabers was released without bail.
It was not known if Nabers had a lawyer who could act on his behalf.
Another case involves a man arrested for illegal possession of machine guns, according to WVUE-TV.
New Orleans police officers patrolling the French Quarter around 7:30 p.m. Monday noticed an “L-shaped object” in the front pocket of Nabers’ trousers, police wrote in records filed with the Orleans District Criminal Court. The officers asked Nabers if he had permission, and when he told them he didn’t, he was arrested.
The LSU athletic department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Nabers led LSU with 72 receptions and 1,017 receiving yards last season. He caught three touchdown passes and averaged 14.1 yards per catch. He ranked second in the SEC in receiving yards behind wide receiver Tennessee. Jalyn Hyatt.
The Orleans District Attorney’s Office did not respond to an emailed request for comment on its decisions.