Rory McIlroy talks again about the rift in professional golf.
On Wednesday, ahead of the Dunhill Links DP World Tour Championships in St. Andrews, world No. 2 McIlroy said the PGA Tour and the Saudi-backed LIV golf course should strike a truce.
“I’ve always said that I think there’s a time and a place where everyone involved here should sit down and try to work together,” McIlroy said. “It’s very difficult to do right now with two lawsuits going on.”
In August, 11 LIV players, including Phil Mickelson, filed an antitrust lawsuit against PGA Tour in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, alleging, among other things, that the network abused its monopoly power through anti-competitive practices. However, four plaintiffs are now involved in the lawsuit – Matt Jones, Bryson DeChambeau, Peter Yulein and LIV Golf.
Meanwhile, another lawsuit allowed LIV players to participate in the DP world tour until a decision is made in February.
Full Alfred Dunhill Links Championship Results
Over time, McIlroy, who has been one of the biggest defensive players on the PGA Tour on numerous occasions, believes an agreement between the two sides is more likely.
“I also think there’s a natural timeline here to allow temperatures to calm down a bit and people can perhaps go into these mediations with more cool heads and not be as emotional about it all,” he said.
However, over time, LIV defectors will drop in the world rankings as the tour does not receive world ranking points, although the circuit has recently applied for such a designation. Last week, all 48 LIV players signed a letter to Peter Dawson, Chairman of OWGR, requesting such an appointment.
McIlroy is open to LIV players earning world ranking points, but notes that LIV is not up to the standard for that right now.
“I certainly would like the best players in the world to be judged accordingly,” he said. “I think Dustin Johnson is somewhere in the 100th place in the world. This is not an accurate reflection of where he is in the game. But at the same time, you can’t come up with your own rules. If they want to make a turn to meet the criteria, they can, and then all of a sudden – I certainly have no problem with them getting world ranking points, at all. does not meet the criteria, it will be difficult to justify why you should have them.”
Last week ahead of the Presidents Cup, PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan, who sits on the OWGR board of directors, said the Tour-LIV truce was “not on the table and has been for a long period of time.”
Although Monahan and McIlroy are on the same side of the aisle in the sports division, the 33-year-old Northern Irishman believes that the current situation in professional golf does not benefit anyone.
“I don’t want a broken game,” McIlroy said. “I never did it. You look at some other sports and what’s happened and the game of golf is being torn apart right now and no one needs it. It’s good for the guys on the other side too. It doesn’t benefit anyone. There is a time and a place for it. I just think now, where everything is, is probably not the time.
“But having said that, I don’t think we can let this go on for too long. So I am completely for everyone who sits at the table and tries to come up with something for sure.