Calvin Joseph remains a man in limbo.
The Kentucky second-round cornerback appears to be in a very precarious position with the Cowboys. While uncertainty still surrounds him off the field due to the role he played in this spring’s deadly shooting in East Dallas, his place on the team is also in question as the 22-year-old is injured. kind recently.
The club says it hopes for both situations.
The 2021 draft pick was present during Tuesday’s mini-camp opening practice in his new #1 jersey. But he was on the sidelines, not working on defense.
With Wednesday and Thursday training cancelled, he will now have to wait until July training camp at Oxnard for a chance to practice in what has become a crowded DB room.
The Cowboys currently have ten cornerbacks, from last year’s interception leader Trevon Diggs to veterans Jordan Lewis and Anthony Brown, special teams ace CJ Goodwin, fellow sophomore Nahshon Wright, and new rookies Daron Bland, Couandre Wright and Isaac. Taylor Stewart. .
Joseph is expected to do well in Dallas’ second season after being selected 44th overall last year. He appeared in 10 games as a rookie, but his defensive snaps for the season were capped at 14% and he made just 13 tackles.
However, head coach Mike McCarthy did not appear to be overly concerned about Joseph’s health as the team approached an extended break.
“I think he will be fine,” the coach told reporters on Thursday. “This is a minor injury that he is working on. I think after a five-week break he will be fully prepared for training camp.”
What is less clear is his legal views.
Joseph was present on the night of March 18 when Cameron Ray was gunned down outside an OT tavern by members of the group that Joseph was with. Although his lawyer maintains that Joseph was unarmed and not looking for trouble that night, he did not come forward until a month later and did so only after his image from surveillance video was broadcast on the local news. He was not charged after several hours of meeting with homicide detectives.
The Cowboys reportedly discussed the matter with Joseph privately and allowed him to participate in team events, even as NFL and Dallas police continue their separate checks.
McCarthy was asked about Joseph’s legal status in mid-May, just before the Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp.
“I don’t have an update on this situation and I understand the concern,” he told reporters at the time. “I just want you to know when this situation happened, we had a lot of internal conversations that were really deep. And based on the information we were given, we felt it was important to support him and he was here every day. He’s had a pretty productive offseason so far.”
Other than the injury prognosis, the coach had no further updates on Thursday, saying: “I haven’t been told anything for at least a month.”
Joseph himself made a somewhat cryptic post on Twitter on Thursday as the team began their pre-training camp break.
Cowboys News: Mini-Camp Comes to an Unexpected End, Jerry Says No Second Team in Dallas
Youth movement for cowboys in defense
53-man Cowboys roster prediction ahead of mini-camp, review of rule changes