Michael Andretti and General Motors announce partnership to bring Cadillac to Formula One
Michael Andretti made it clear right away that he would leave no stone unturned in his quest to get the team onto the Formula One grid. Every obstacle he faced, he overcame. With the news in the motorsports world that Andretti Global has signed a partnership with General Motors to bring the Cadillac marque into Formula One, it looks like he has overcome the last hurdle to bring a new manufacturer into the series – in other words, the Yankees are coming.
Following a tweet by FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem that he had asked the governing body to look into widening the starting grid a week ago, GM and Andretti released a joint statement that they are looking for a job as an Andretti Cadillac..
Proud to announce our Andretti global partnership with GM @Cadillac as we seize the opportunity to compete in @FIA @F1 World Championship. #CadillacVSseries #AllAndretti pic.twitter.com/c1juJtra11
— Michael Andretti (@michaelandretti) January 5, 2023
“Today’s news from the United States is further proof of the popularity and growth of the FIA Formula One World Championship,” the statement said. This was announced by the representative of the FIA Racer.. “It’s especially gratifying to have interest from two iconic brands such as General Motors Cadillac and Andretti Global.”
The team will be based outside the United States – Andretti Global has just broken ground at a 575,000-square-foot facility in Fishers, Indiana – but will also have support headquarters in the United Kingdom. This will be GM’s first entry into the world of Formula One racing and the return of the Andretti family to the sport. Michael competed in this series in 1993 for McLaren before returning to the CART series in North America. His father, Mario, won the F1 title in 1979 with Team Lotus and is one of only two US champions the sport saw alongside Phil Hill in 1961.
The team will still need to get approval from the FIA, F1 and the teams and this verification process could take several months. Once approved, Andretti Cadillac’s target is believed to be the 2026 season when the new powertrains are expected to debut and they won’t be the only newcomer as Audi has previously said it will take charge of Sauber to build a working team in 2026..
“There is currently a lot of interest in the F1 project and there are a number of conversations going on that are not as visible as others,” F1 said in a statement regarding Andretti’s announcement. “We all want the championship to remain credible and stable and any new entry request will be judged against the criteria to achieve those goals by all relevant stakeholders. Any new competitor request requires the consent of both F1 and the FIA.”