Latest Posts

Michael Chiesa, Conor McGregor settle bus attack lawsuit from UFC 223

- Advertisement -

Four years after Conor McGregor threw a cart into the windshield of a bus carrying Michael Chiesa, UFC fighters have settled their lawsuit in Kings County Superior Court, New York.

Lawyers for McGregor and Chiesa filed on Friday to dismiss the case with prejudice, which means they have agreed not to file a lawsuit — and it can’t be resubmitted later. A person with knowledge of the lawsuit, who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter, confirmed to MMA Fighting that an agreement had been reached; the terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Chiesa representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

- Advertisement -

McGregor’s spokesperson Karen Kessler released a brief statement on Chiesa’s lawsuit saying “the issue has been resolved and is now closed.”

- Advertisement -

In September 2018, Chiesa filed a lawsuit against McGregor, McGregor Sports and Entertainment, parent company Madison Square Garden and others following the infamous bus attack at UFC 223; The former UFC champion signed a plea deal after he was briefly in jail. This concluded the criminal part of the case, but the lawyers for Chiesa and McGregor fought in civil court for another four years before reaching an agreement.

- Advertisement -

Chiesa initially sued McGregor for negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, intentional infliction of emotional distress, assault and battery, among other claims. McGregor’s lawyer argued that the Irish star did not intentionally target Chiesa and cannot be held accountable. At first, the judge agreed and curtailed potential claims against McGregor. But last month, an appeals judge reopened several of the original lawsuit’s claims, ruling that Chiesa’s claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress was improperly dismissed and that it was correct to name MSG as a party to the lawsuit.

Chiesa was cut by flying glass when McGregor threw a cart through a bus window, forcing him to pull out of the fight with Anthony Pettis on April 7, 2018 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Not only did the injury hurt his immediate prospects, he argued, but his career in the form of a win over Pettis could put him in line for a title fight.

“Because of (McGregor), I literally had a great opportunity snatched from me,” Chiesa told TMZ at the time.

McGregor pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in his criminal case, completed five days of community service, and agreed to anger management as part of his plea agreement. Chiesa said that he and his family were subjected to online harassment when his lawsuit became known.

Chiesa went on to fight Anthony Pettis at UFC 226 and lost via submission in the second round. He then moved up to welterweight, where he won a four-fight streak before successive losses sapped his momentum. He is constantly sitting at the UFC commentary table, but his next fight is not scheduled.

McGregor, meanwhile, remains on the sidelines after breaking his leg in a trilogy with Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. He recently made headlines for his status with the US Anti-Doping Agency and his exclusion from the drug testing pool.

McGregor is also facing a separate civil lawsuit from his former training partner Artem Lobov, who claims he is entitled to 5 percent of the ex-champ’s $600 million deal for the rights to his Proper 12 whiskey.



Source: www.mmafighting.com

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss