Sergio Garcia’s transformation into DP’s world tour main pariah came to an end after a startling locker room outburst after he was fined and banned from the Scottish Open for his involvement in Saudi rebel circles.
Garcia, 42, is one of 16 professionals who are threatening to sue his home circuit after receiving £100,000 sanctions and a suspension from next week’s $8m tournament at Renaissance Club. » near North Berwick.
While the penalty for violating Tour rules hasn’t ended his Ryder Cup career – at least not yet – Garcia, according to multiple sources, reacted with rage and sarcasm.
“News [of the ban] came out during BMW International last week [in Munich]”, – told Telegraph Sport one of the leading players, who wished to remain anonymous. – Sergio lost his temper, shouting: “This Tour is shit, you are all fucked up, you should have taken Saudi money.” Bob McIntyre was there and he was disgusted “.
McIntyre and his management company declined to comment when approached by Telegraph Sport, as did Garcia’s rep, but the Scottish golfer tweeted later at that tournament. “It’s amazing how quickly you can lose respect for someone you’ve looked up to all your life,” wrote 25-year-old McIntyre.
The unfortunate incident was brought to the fore at the Irish Open, which finishes at Mount Juliet in County Kilkenny on Sunday. There was enough trouble before the Sour 16, as they are now known, sent a letter to Wentworth headquarters with an ultimatum to lift the sanctions, a demand that DP World Tour stubbornly refused. bend over.
“Sergio’s reputation has taken a hit before anyway, but that sealed it for a lot of us,” the player said. – Speeches in America last month were one thing, but this is his home tour where he started and he shouldn’t forget it. Fair enough, he took the money. But he doesn’t have to poke other players’ noses into it.”
In May, during the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship in Maryland, Garcia yelled at a PGA Tour umpire who gave him a time penalty while looking for his ball. “That’s bullshit,” Garcia bellowed. I can’t wait to leave this tour. Can’t wait to get out of here. A couple more weeks and I won’t have to deal with you again.”
Four weeks later, Garcia was true to his word, resigning his PGA Tour membership ahead of the first LIV Golf event in Hertfordshire, expecting the US circuit to issue indefinite bans and say, “I don’t want to get into any legal battles with anyone.” .
When asked why he is also not leaving the DP World Tour – formerly the European Tour, Garcia replied: “First of all, I’m European, I love the European tour. I would definitely like to keep my membership there, play at least my minimum and get as many chances as possible to be on the Ryder Cup team because I love this event.”
It is understood that Garcia, the Ryder Cup’s all-time leading scorer, lobbied the Tour last week to try to avoid further sanctions.
“He’s been highlighting how much he’s supported the Tour over the past few years, but when was the last time he showed up at a regular event without receiving any money from a promoter or sponsor,” a Tour insider said.
“He didn’t play at the Wentworth flagship tournament. [the BMW PGA Championship] in eight years and since 2017 has actually participated in fewer Rolex Series events than [American] Patrick Reed. And now he’s trying to act like he’s Mr. Europe. Let’s just say his argument is not overly sympathetic.”
Garcia, who received an eight-figure payout from the LIV, is scheduled to play the first round of Saturday’s second $25 million tournament in Portland, Oregon. With two overs, he is out of competition, 10 behind leaders Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz.