Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed he will take part in Manchester United’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano at Old Trafford on Sunday amid continued speculation about his future with the English giants.
The 37-year-old Portuguese striker, who missed the club’s pre-season tour to Thailand and Australia for personal reasons, is reportedly looking to leave the club he returned to last year.
Ronaldo also missed out on United’s squad for Saturday’s friendly against Atlético Madrid in Oslo.
But he suggested on Instagram that he would face another La Liga team in Rayo Vallecano.
Commenting on a post on Ronaldo’s fan page that he missed the game in Norway, Ronaldo wrote on Friday: “Domingo o rei joga”, which translates to “The king plays on Sunday”.
United have said players not in the 21-man away squad against Atlético – on a roster that includes new signings Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen – “will take part in Sunday’s game against Rayo Vallecano, while how others are sick or injured.” .”
Eric ten Hag, United’s new manager, insisted earlier this month that Ronaldo was “not for sale”.
“We’re planning Cristiano Ronaldo for the season, that’s all, and I’m looking forward to working with him,” he said.
“I read this, but I say that Cristiano is not for sale, he is in our plans and we want to succeed together.”
The former Real Madrid and Juventus player was United’s top scorer last season with 24 goals.
But the campaign as a whole was a huge disappointment for the club, with a sixth-place finish in the Premier League meaning they missed out on qualification for the Champions League.
United will start their Premier League campaign at home with Brighton on 7 August.
jdg / dj