The products featured in this article have been independently verified. When you purchase anything through the retail links on this page, we may earn commissions at no cost to you, the reader. The Sportzshalaeditors are not involved in the creation of this content. Find out more here.
There are many options on the market, so choosing the right protein shake can be a challenge. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve created this definitive nutritionist-supported guide to the best protein shakes. Whether you have certain dietary restrictions, prefer plant-based protein, or want something delicious, we’ll help you find the protein shake that will suit your needs. Here is our top pick of the best protein shakes to help you reach your personal health and fitness goals.
This content is for informational purposes only, but should not be taken as medical advice. It is not intended to be used as a diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of health problems. Always check with your doctor before starting any new supplement or exercise regimen.
Our selection of the best protein shakes:
- Best Overall Protein Shake: Ritual Essential
- Best Protein Shake for Weight Loss: profitable
- Best protein shake for women: KOS Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Best Protein Shake for Gaining Muscle Mass: Kaged Clean food
- Best Ready Made Protein Shake: Organic Pure Protein Shake
- Best tasting protein shake: Naked Nutrition Naked Shake
- Best Vegan Protein Shake: Plant Based Protein Biosteel
- Best Protein Shake for Diabetes: Transparent Labs Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- Best Low Carb Protein Shake: Xwerks grow
- Calories per serving: 115
- protein per serving: 20 grams
- Protein Source: Organic Pea Protein
- Zero grams of sugar, two grams of fat, three grams of carbohydrates, three grams of dietary fiber.
Essential Protein by Ritual is an all-natural, plant-based protein powder derived from organic yellow peas. This vegan formula is soy-free, gluten-free, GMO-free and free of sugars, sugar alcohols, artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners.
With 20 grams of protein per scoop, Ritual provides a complete amino acid profile with eight grams of essential amino acids and four grams of BCAAs per serving.
Ritual is currently only available in vanilla flavor and reviews of the flavor are mostly positive. Ritual says the vanilla flavor has subtle caramel nuances and hints of spice, sweetened with fermented sugar cane and monk fruit extract.
Essential Protein is quite expensive, but Ritual uses pure, high quality ingredients that are regeneratively grown. This product is also Informed Sport Certified free of banned substances and safe for athletes.
- Informed Sport Certified safe from banned substances
- Plant Based Protein Powder with Complete Amino Acid Profile
- Essential Protein is made from traceable ingredients, a visible supply chain so you know the exact ingredients in your supplement.
- premium price
- Only one flavor option available (vanilla)
- Calories per serving: Slightly different depending on composition
- protein per serving: Varies from 19 to 27 grams of protein depending on your choice of protein powder.
- Protein Source: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Vegetable Protein (Organic Pea, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oats)
- Sugar, fat, carbohydrates and fiber depend on the recipe.
Gainful offers a subscription-based service where protein powder is personalized to meet your dietary needs. They have whey, keto, and herbal formulations. No matter which protein source you choose, Gainful Protein Powder contains all nine essential amino acids and 19 to 27 grams of protein per serving. Individual powders never contain gluten, soy, fillers, artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors.
What’s unique about this protein is that it doesn’t really have any flavor and you can use different flavor packs to enhance your shake. Gainful offers nine different flavor packs, and I’ve personally tried chocolate, mocha, chocolate peanut butter, and sea salt caramel. They were all delicious and added a substantial amount of flavor, the sea salt caramel and chocolate peanut butter were my favorites. This strain is great for those who are tired of drinking the same flavored protein shake over and over again.
Gainful is definitely not the cheapest supplement brand on the market, but it does offer high quality ingredients and customized supplement blends. A Gainful subscription also gives you access to one-on-one sessions with a registered dietitian. This is a particularly useful service if you have personal weight loss goals.
For more information, check out our roundup of the best protein powders for weight loss here.
- Fully customizable protein powder options to suit your dietary preferences
- Multiple flavor options available
- A Gainful subscription gives you access to registered dietitian services.
- Significant cost per serving of protein
- Subscription-only service
- Calories per serving: 160
- protein per serving: 20 grams
- Protein Source: Organic pea protein, organic flax seeds, organic quinoa, organic pumpkin seeds and organic chia seeds.
- Two grams of added sugar, six grams of fat, nine grams of carbohydrates, three grams of dietary fiber.
KOS Organic is a great tasting vegan protein powder supported by a blend of plant-based protein sources including pea, flax and chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and quinoa.
This ingredient list ensures that every scoop of Organic KOS is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids per serving. KOS also includes digestive enzymes, a blend of organic fruits and vegetables, and even some extra vitamins and minerals.
In terms of taste, KOS comes in a wide variety of flavors. According to customer reviews, the chocolate and vanilla flavors are amazing, especially when compared to other plant-based dairy-free protein shakes on the market.
- USDA Certified Organic Ingredients
- 100% vegan protein powder free of dairy and lactose.
- Contains a blend of organic fruits and vegetables, a blend of digestive enzymes, and a blend of KOS vitamins and minerals.
- May not be suitable for allergy sufferers as it contains nuts (coconut).
- The calories are slightly higher than other protein powder supplements.
- calories per serving: 260
- protein per serving: 29 grams
- Protein Source: Whey Protein Isolate
- two grams of sugar, five grams of fat, 20 grams of carbohydrates, three grams of dietary fiber
Kaged Muscle’s Clean Meal is a complete meal replacement ideal for serious muscle gains. A two scoop serving contains 260 calories and has an excellent macronutrient profile.
The product contains whey protein isolate, organic quinoa and oats for complex carbohydrates, and vitamins derived from organic fruits and vegetables, including vitamin C, calcium and zinc, just to name a few.
This product is intended to replace one of your meals or snacks throughout the day. However, if you’re trying to build muscle, it’s best to just add this smoothie to your diet rather than replacing it with a meal.
Flavor options include peanut butter, vanilla tart, and snickerdoodle sweetened with stevia and sucralose. In terms of flavor, reviewers are especially enamored with the taste of snickerdoodle.
- Informed Sport Certified for Athletes
- Zero Added Sugars
- Excellent macronutrient profile for a high protein meal replacement powder
- Not ideal for those looking for a low calorie shake option.
- Due to the serving size, it is difficult to mix in a standard shaker.
- calories per serving: 130 calories in a pure protein shake and 150 calories in a vegetable protein shake
- protein per serving: 20 grams for two
- Protein Source: Grass-fed milk protein concentrate for a pure protein shake and pea protein for a plant-based protein shake.
- Pure protein shake: three grams of sugar, two grams of fat, 11 grams of carbohydrates, two grams of dietary fiber.
Vegetable protein shake: one gram of sugar, 4.5 grams of fat, nine grams of carbohydrates, one gram of dietary fiber.
Orgain offers two ready-to-drink protein shakes, each containing 20 grams of protein per pack.
Clean Protein Shake only comes in two flavors, including Chocolate Cream Fudge and Vanilla, while Plant Protein Shake is only available in Chocolate Cream. Despite the limited flavor options, some reviewers say they taste like milkshakes.
These are great options to take with you if you have a busy schedule and need a convenient and easy way to add some protein to your diet.
- Ready-made protein shakes
- Plant and whey protein powder options available
- 25% discount on the first subscription and order saving
- Ready-to-drink cartons are more expensive than powdered alternatives.
- Limited flavors available.
- calories per serving: 130 to 150 depending on taste
- protein per serving: 20 grams
- Protein Source: Pea protein
- Three grams of added sugar, three to four grams of fat, six to seven grams of carbohydrates, one gram of dietary fiber.
Naked Nutrition is committed to creating supplements without additives such as artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. The combination of pea protein, MCT oil, and coconut sugar provides a mouth-watering shake that contains 20 grams of protein per serving.
Naked Nutrition Shake is available in six unique flavors including Chocolate, Hot Cocoa, Vanilla, Strawberry Banana, Pumpkin Spice and Peanut Blueberry. With less than five grams…