The mystery of a Kansas City Chiefs superfan charged with robbery

HE CHOSEN HER in a neat red hatchback crossover with leather seats, dodging the traffic and awkward silence on a September night in Arizona. It was just a dinner and drink between two Kansas City Chiefs fans, not a date, although Lindsey True now wonders if he thought about it. She only knew his name, Xaviar.

They met through the Twitter Chiefs, a community bound by devotion to their NFL team. There he was ChiefsAholic, one of the most famous fans in the Kingdom. He entertained his over 40,000 followers with stories of a single, sports-crazed bachelor who bet big on the Chiefs as he traveled across the country to support them. On game days, he was that wolf-suited guy often seen on TV, running around the back door in head-to-toe gray fur, claws and a mask, turning on the fans. He was young and successful, or so he said on Twitter.

True, the 23-year-old, with blond hair and blue eyes, did not even know what he looked like under the mask of a wolf before meeting that night. But she considered him a friend. She was a Kansas native, graduating from Arizona State University, and Xaviar, along with Chiefs Twitter, made her feel closer to home.

He told her that he graduated from the University of Kansas, managed warehouses and had an apartment in Chesterfield, an affluent suburb of St. Louis. He said he was close to his mom and had family in Los Angeles. She had no reason to doubt him or the mystery surrounding his real life.

Three months later, on December 16, True returned home to Costco in the Kansas City area and saw a man in a purple K-State tracksuit that reminded her of Xavier. She wrote to him, but he never answered. It didn’t look like him. He had to go to Houston for the Chiefs-Texans game, and she wondered if his phone was broken. But then his Twitter account went silent, and True got worried.

Fans of the Chiefs were also worried. He meant something to them. Parents looked for him at the tailgate, hoping to take a picture of the wolf with their children, and on the Internet, ChiefsAholic became a staple of their lives. They might not have known his name, but they knew exactly where he must have been that December morning, somewhere on the highway between Kansas City and southeast Texas.

As the days of silence overlapped, the superfan’s fans became internet sleuths. Some of them fell into despair. “We lost the fan!” one wrote in the team’s official account, “Help if you can!!”

On December 19, an assistant teacher and Chiefs fan from Tulsa, Oklahoma named Erin (who did not want to give her last name) was hit. It was a photograph of him in an eastern Oklahoma prison. Her revelation quickly spread on social media and soon their concern turned into shock. They started asking who they trusted. And did they even know him?

True was on a beer tasting tour with her parents when the news hit her phone. “Well, he’s fine,” she told her mom, “but he’s going to jail.”

SAVIAR MICHAEL BABUDAR, according to police in Bixby, Oklahoma, walked into the Tulsa Teachers’ Credit Union on the morning of December 16, pointed a black gun at bank teller Payton Garcia and demanded that she give him “a hundred” or he would shoot her. head.

Garcia said the burglar jumped over the counter, kicked out the plexiglass window, and told her to open the vault while holding a gun to her back.

“I was terrified,” Garcia told Sportzshala. “In my head I was thinking, ‘This is it. If we don’t open this, today is my last day of life.”

Prosecutors say he fled on a bike, was apprehended a few blocks from the credit union, and was found with a black backpack that included a paintball mask, ski goggles, gloves, a green zip-up jacket, green sweatpants, black shoes, a black backpack. CO2 gun and $150,000 bag.

Baboudar was charged with robbery with a firearm and assault while wearing masks or disguises. According to the Tulsa County Attorney’s Office, robbery with a firearm is punishable by five years to life in Oklahoma, and assault while wearing a mask or disguise is punishable by two to five years. He pleaded not guilty and declined to comment on Sportzshala’s allegations against him.

The District Attorney’s office said it was not aware of any other robberies involving Babudar, and an FBI spokesman in Oklahoma City neither confirmed nor denied that Babudar was under investigation for other robbery cases.

Interviews and documents viewed by Sportzshala revealed that Babudar and his family had a long history of legal troubles, and much of what he posted about himself on social media was untrue.

“After graduating from KSU in 2016, I worked in a warehouse making $12 an hour,” he tweeted Dec. 13. “Today, I manage several warehouses throughout the Midwest and make great money, and I’m only 28 years old. Hard work pays off and don’t let ANYONE tell you otherwise!”

He did not graduate from Kansas State; the school has no record of him attending classes there. There is no evidence for his claim that he is a self-made man who runs warehouses; he worked at Amazon for seven months from November 2017 to May 2018 before voluntarily resigning, the company confirmed. Aside from a line in the police report that said he helped run the family antiques business, Sportzshala was unable to find a record of other work. Court affidavits following his December arrest listed him as homeless, self-employed, and unable to afford a lawyer.

The man who posted photos of himself at Super Bowl LIV in Miami 2020, who seemed to have always been in first place during the Chiefs’ winning runs over the past three seasons, seemed to have lost the steering wheel in the fall of 2016. According to the police report, he watched the game in a parked silver van with his mother and brother in Overland Park, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City. (The Chiefs were playing the New York Jets at the time.) The police were sent to the insurance company’s parking lot due to a suspicious car call, and the family was ordered to leave.

According to documents and interviews, the only semblance of roots or home for Babudar appeared many years ago, in an elementary school. He attended Top of the World Elementary School in Laguna Beach, California, a school district spokesman confirmed, and lived in a 2,400-square-foot oceanfront home with his parents and older brother Noah. But in 2004, when Xaviar was 9, his father filed for bankruptcy, according to court documents. Two years later, the boys’ mother, Carla, added a document to the file stating that Michael Babudar had gone to community service for a traffic violation and never returned.

According to the statement, Michael abandoned his family and did not contact them for two years, and in 2005 a trustee sold the house. “It was financially devastating for my children and me,” she said in a statement. “We didn’t have enough income to buy another place to live.”

Michael Babudar did not return calls from Sportzshala and Carla Babudar’s number was switched off. When they got through to him, Noy Babudar quickly hung up.

The court papers and police reports provide a roadmap for the family as they traveled from California to Utah and Kansas City, facing petty crime charges at every stop. In 2009, when Xaviar was 14, his mother pleaded guilty to theft after she was arrested at a grocery store in Pleasant Grove, Utah. She had her children with her and she was also charged with assisting in the delinquency of a minor. According to the report, she gave the police a fictitious name and address.

Three years later, in Rancho Cucamonga, California, Carla and her sons were arrested on charges of forging food certificates at Souplantation, a chain food restaurant. In the end, Carla and Noah did not object to the disturbance of the peace. Records of Xaviar, who was 17 at the time, were not available, but an article in a local newspaper at the time stated that he had been placed in a juvenile hall.

By the time he was 21, Xaviar was facing charges of trying to steal spoon holders and snack bags from Target in Sandy, Utah, and in another incident at the same store, he was accused of changing price tags to goods and then returned them. mislabeled items at a higher price.

On at least five separate occasions from 2014 to 2017, Overland Park officers were sent to ask the Babudars to leave the premises of various businesses, including several hotels and the Einstein Bros bagel parking lot. “They often sleep in their car and may be homeless,” the officer noted in the report. During another skirmish, an officer wrote that Carla and Noah were in a silver 2004 Mercedes “full of stuff and very little room for three adults.”

The most permanent address Xaviar and Carla have provided in the last few years is Mail & Copy Plus at Overland Park Mall. Witnesses at the mall said Carla would park her silver van 50 to 75 yards across the parking lot from the mail store entrance. She was seen leaving with mail in plastic bags, sometimes wearing latex gloves, which she threw into black trash cans on the street, according to sources who spoke to Sportzshala on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.

Xaviar said he avoided parking at Arrowhead Stadium on game days by walking several miles to the stadium dressed as a wolf. “… I don’t pay $65 for parking,” he tweeted in August. He also wrote about keeping disposable gloves in his car to fill up gas and fast food.

Xaviar and his mother attended Chiefs and Kansas State games together. He once tweeted that she “raised me by herself and brought me to my first Chiefs game when I was 3.” The fan who sold them tickets and sat in the same section remembered Xaviar standing over his mom to shield her from the sun on a hot day at Arrowhead Stadium.

CHIFSAHOLIK PART the attraction was that he lived a fan life, which his followers could not.

“I hate to say it, but he almost represented the Kingdom, you know?” Deion said…


Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker