UFC 284 — Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: Results, fight card, highlights, complete guide
UFC 284 delivered the merchandise Saturday night to Australia. Islam Makhachev retained his lightweight title despite the valiant efforts of featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski. Makhachev won via unanimous decision in the main event at the RAC Arena in Perth, Australia.
Despite Makhachev being approved by all three judges, Volkanovski impressed many by moving up to 155 pounds and giving the champion everything he was capable of. Meanwhile, Makhachev extended his winning streak to 12 as he continues to dominate the fighters opposing him.
On the undercard, Yair Rodriguez also earned the interim featherweight crown by defeating Josh Emmett in the second round. Rodriguez will likely have a date with Volkanovski later this year. Also, Jack Della Maddalena continues to impress with another stoppage in the first round with a submission from Randy Brown.
Can’t get enough of boxing and MMA? Get the latest martial arts news from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including an instant analysis of UFC 284 at the conclusion of the event.
CBS Sports has been with you throughout the fight week with the latest news, details and betting tips. Thanks for stopping by and see you at UFC 285 in Las Vegas.
UFC 284 fight card, results
- Islam Makhachev (c) beat. Alexander Volkanovski via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)
- Yair Rodriguez (ic) vs. Josh Emmet second round submission (triangle choke)
- Jack Della Maddalena vs. Randy Brown Submission in the first round (rear naked choke)
- Justin Tafa def. Parker Porter KO in the first round (punch)
- Jimmy Crute vs Alonzo Manfield ended in a draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28).
- Modest Bukauskas defeated. Tyson Pedro via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Josh Culibao vs. Melsik Baghdasaryan by submission in the second round (rear naked choke)
- Claydson Rodriguez def. Shannon Ross via TKO in the first round (punches)
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. Francisco Prado by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jack Jenkins def. Don Shinis by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Loma Lookboonmee def. Eliza Reid via second round submission (rear naked choke)
- Blake Bilder vs. Shane Young via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Elves Brenner def. Zubaira Tukhugov by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
UFC 284 countdown
- Staff forecasts and selection of experts for the main map
- Brookhouse: The best bets to consider in each major card battle
- Mahjuri: Rodriguez says it’s a dream to see many Mexican fighters upcoming titles
- Mahjuri: Della Maddalena and Brown are looking for a breakthrough moment
- Campbell: Five main storylines to follow in Perth