Latest Posts

Undrafted rookie Jonathan Garibay is the only kicker on Cowboys’ roster for now

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

The cowboys left the veteran kicker Greg Zuerlein after he missed six field goals and six PATs in 2021, his second most on the team. The only kicker currently in Dallas is an undrafted rookie. Jonathan Garibay.

- Advertisement -

The Cowboys will certainly compete at some point, likely before training camp starts late next month. Chris Naggar, who was fired by the team this spring, could return, or the Cowboys could sign one of the USFL kickers when this season ends.

- Advertisement -

Garibay scored the longest field goal in FBS last season with a 62-yard shot for Texas Tech to beat Iowa State. He made 15 of his 16 field goals in 2021, earning 12 First Team All-Bigs.

In 2020, Garibay made 8 attempts out of 11.

“You can definitely feel his ability,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said via ESPN’s Todd Archer. “He’s off to a good start. he’s just young“.

Dan Bailey won the Cowboys kicker as an undrafted free agent in 2011 and was at one point the most accurate kicker in NFL history. The Cowboys hope to get the same from Garibai, but are exploring other options just in case.

“It means that a lot is expected of me,” Garibai said. “After all, I expect a lot from myself. . . . It’s a lot of mental. It’s mostly mental. There are a lot of great guys who have power; these are really good kickers; that have power and precision. It’s just a mental thing sometimes. It’s 99 percent mental, and the other 1 percent is probably mental too.

“I think there are high expectations and I’m just trying to do what I’ve always done – focus on myself, not focus on competition and do it one kick at a time. That’s the mentality you have to have – one on one all the time.”



Source: profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss