Latest Posts

UVA football player wounded in shooting gets out of hospital Seven Michigan State football players charged in tunnel melee Report: Kansas gives Lance Leipold 2-year extension

- Advertisement -

RICHMOND, Virginia. A University of Virginia football player seriously injured in a shootout that killed three of his teammates has been discharged from the hospital.

Brenda Hollins, mother of runners Mike Hollins, tweeted early Monday morning, “Mike is discharged!!! HALLELUJAH.”

- Advertisement -

She asked to continue praying “while he recovers and adjusts to his new life.” She also asked for prayers for the families of the three players who died in the Nov. 13 shooting. “We need them!!!” she wrote.

- Advertisement -

Joe Gipson, a spokesman for the Louisiana law firm where Brenda Hollins works, said Mike Hollins was released from UVA Medical Center on Sunday. Gipson said Mike Hollins will be staying with his family outside of the hospital for the next few weeks for follow-up medical checks.

- Advertisement -

Lavel Davis Jr., D’Shawn Perry, and Devin Chandler were gunned down on a charter bus as they were returning to campus from a tour of a play in Washington. According to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, each died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Authorities said Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., a UVA student and former football team member who was on the trip, started shooting at students on the bus as it pulled into the campus parking lot.

Last week, the prosecutor said in court that a witness told police that the gunman had targeted specific victims by shooting one of them while he was asleep. Two more students were injured. Student Marley Morgan was discharged from the hospital last week. A spokesman for the Hollins family said last week that Hollins, who was shot in the back, has had multiple surgeries and is on the mend.

Jones, 23, is charged with second-degree murder and other charges related to the shooting, which led to a manhunt and a 12-hour campus lockdown before Jones was detained in suburban Richmond. Jones is being held without bail.

Authorities have not released a motive.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Seven Michigan State football players were charged with hand-to-hand combat after playing in the Michigan Stadium tunnel last month, according to a statement from the Washtenaw County Attorney’s Office.

The most serious accusation is against the defender Hari Kramp, who faces criminal liability for the attack. The accusations against the other six are misdemeanors. Midfielder Itaivion “Tank” Brown, Security Angelo Grosecornerback Justin White, quarterback Brandon Wright and defensive end Xion Young each charged with one count of aggravated assault, and the linebacker Jacob Windmon faces one count of assault and battery.

None of the Michigan players face charges that were announced before the last games of the regular season. No. 3 Michigan plays No. 2 Ohio State on the road on Saturday, with the Big Ten Eastern Division title on the line. Hours later, the Spartans finish the season in 11th place in Pennsylvania, and they need a win to qualify for the draw.

Brawls broke out in the Michigan Stadium tunnel on October 29 after the then No. 1. 4 Wolverines beat the Spartans 29-7. Social media posts showed Michigan State players pushing, hitting and kicking Michigan. Da Den McBurrows in and next to the corridor, which does not lead to any of the dressing rooms. The video shows Brown, Grose and Young exercising with McBurroughs.

McBurroughs and defenseman Jemon Green climbed the tunnel with the Spartans after the game, while most of the Michigan team waved at them from the field after defeating state rivals for the first time in three years.

Green in another post is surrounded by police and yells through a tunnel at Michigan players.

Crump, in one video, appears to be swinging his helmet at a Michigan player. This may explain the more serious charge, which carries up to four years in prison. State law describes criminal assault as assault “with a knife, iron bar, club, brass knuckles, or other dangerous weapon, without the intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm.”

A conviction for a misdemeanor related to assault carries a prison sentence of up to one year, while a misdemeanor and battery carries a maximum penalty of 93 days behind bars.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said one of the players, whom he did not name, may have had a broken nose. He also said that Green was hit by a Spartan player and McBurroughs was attacked while trying to help.

The prosecutor’s statement did not provide details of the charges, including who accuses whom of the beating. He added that the department would not give further comments during the course of the case. It is not yet clear when the accused players will first appear in court.

Michigan’s athletic director and football coach did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Michigan President Santa J. Ono said in a statement Wednesday that the school praised the Washtenaw County Attorney’s “thoughtful and deliberate approach to this unfortunate incident.”

“We also want to express our concern for all the players involved, especially those who have been injured,” Ono said. “The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully with any additional reviews on this matter.”

The lawyer representing Greene, Tom Mars, said after the arraignment that he was “not at all surprised by the prosecutor’s decision.”

Asked if his client could sue over the hand-to-hand fight, Mars said that after consulting with Green and his father, they agreed with his recommendation to “take no action on the tunnel incident until the season is over.”

“I don’t want all this to be a distraction from football in Michigan, and neither does Gemon,” Mars said.

Michigan State Coach Mel Tucker suspended eight players, including Malcolm Jones, who has not been charged, for engaging in hand-to-hand combat.

Following the Oct. 29 incident, Michigan President Samuel Stanley publicly apologized for the “violent” confrontation.

“I am very saddened by this incident and the unacceptable behavior of the participants in our football program,” Stanley said at the time. “On behalf of Michigan State University, I sincerely apologize to the University of Michigan and to the student-athletes who were injured.”

LAWRENCE, can. — Kansas and Lance Leipold agreed to a second contract extension in less than three months, this time adding two years to his deal and keeping him tied to the Jayhawks through the 2029 season, a person familiar with the terms told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the school has not announced an extension.

On September 1, Leipold had a year added to his original contract as a reward for a first two-win season, which raised hopes in Lawrence that the football program could return to relevance. But after a 5-0 start, with the Jayhawks in the AP top 25 and a sixth win qualifying them for the draw, the school moved aggressively to ban Leipold for a long time—especially in Nebraska and Wisconsin, where him deep ties, the coaches market.

Leipold’s original contract was a six-year, $16.5 million deal that paid him $2.2 million in his first season, with an increase of $200,000 each year. He’ll also earn $50,000 for a Top 25 finish, Big 12 Coach of the Year, or a seven-game regular season win — a threshold he can break by beating a Kansas State rival.

He has already received a $100,000 bonus for bowl qualification and can earn another $75,000 for academic milestones.

Leipold was hired early last year, shortly after the Jayhawks parted ways with Miles amid allegations of sexual misconduct during his time at LSU. Scandal led to dismissal Jeff Longhis longtime friend and sports director who hired him.

Kansas eventually turned the AD job over to Travis Goff, and his first major move was to wrest Leipold, who had won six Division III titles at Wisconsin-Whitewater, from Buffalo, whom he had swept in three games in a row.

Leipold was popular with Jayhawks fans due to his Midwestern ancestry, small-town roots, and program development prowess, and his old-school demeanor on the field was a perfect match for the school’s values.

Despite not having an offseason or time to put together a full-fledged recruiting class, Leipold managed to lead the Jayhawks to a loss to Texas at the end of last season and then continued that momentum right into this year. They had five wins in a row before losing to the quarterback. Milestone Daniels to a shoulder injury, then toppled Oklahoma State with a backup Jason Bean under center to qualify for the bowl game for the first time since the 2008 season.

Kansas will attempt to end a 13-game losing streak against Kansas State in the regular season finale.

The Leipold expansion is the latest football investment for a school primarily known for its national men’s basketball program. Last month, Kansas officials announced plans for a long-awaited renovation of Memorial Stadium, part of a project that could cost upwards of $300 million and include new conference, entertainment and retail space.



Source: collegefootball.nbcsports.com

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss