Latest Posts

Wimbledon champ Rybakova beats Keys in Ostrava opener Tennis star Kyrgios to fight charge on mental health grounds Iga Swiatek out of BJK Cup, saying scheduling is ‘not safe’

- Advertisement -

Ostrava, Czech Republic. Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakova pulled out to defeat Madison Keys 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 in the first round of the Agel Open on Monday.

This year, Rybakova lost to the Keys at the French Open and Cincinnati.

- Advertisement -

In other first round matches in the eastern Czech city of Ostrava, Ayla Tomljanovic of Australia defeated Zhang Shuai of China 6-3, 6-3, while local hope Petra Kvitova defeated American Bernanda Peru 6-3, 2-6, 6-. four.

- Advertisement -

Ekaterina Alexandrova of Russia, who had just won her second title this year in Seoul last month, knocked out former No. 1 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

- Advertisement -

CANBERRA, Australia. Wimbledon runner-up Nick Kyrgios will file a petition to drop the assault charge on mental health grounds, his lawyer told an Australian court on Tuesday.

Lawyer Michael Kukulies-Smith spoke on behalf of Kyrgios in a court in the hometown of the tennis star Canberra and asked to postpone the meeting so that forensic reports could be prepared.

Judge Glenn Theakston has adjourned the case until Feb. 3, when Kyrgios’ lawyers are expected to file a motion to drop the charges under the local crimes section of the law.

The 27-year-old Australian tennis star will stand trial in person on this day for the first time since he was subpoenaed by police in July.

The law gives magistrates the power to dismiss a charge if they are convinced that the accused is mentally deficient, and the consideration of the charge in this way will benefit the public and the accused.

The usual charge of assault, which can carry a maximum sentence of two years in prison, relates to an incident in January 2021 that was reported to local police last December.

The charge is reportedly related to an incident with his ex-girlfriend.

Kukulies-Smith told the court that his client’s mental health history from 2015 makes the statement pertinent, citing a number of public statements made by Kyrgios.

In February, Kyrgios spoke about his performance at the 2019 Australian Open, saying that what appeared to be a positive period in his life was “one of the darkest periods of my life”.

“I was lonely, depressed, negative, abused alcohol, drugs, pushed away family and friends,” he wrote on Instagram. “I felt that I could neither speak nor trust anyone. It was the result of me not opening up and refusing to rely on my loved ones, but just gradually forcing myself to be positive.”

Kyrgios made further mention of his mental health issues during his runs to the Wimbledon final and the US Open quarter-finals.

After wrapping up Daniil Medvedev’s title defense at the US Open last month to reach the quarter-finals, Kyrgios expressed pride in being able to get out of “some really difficult mental situations” and “some really scary places” off the court.

Theakston wondered if Kyrgios needed to appear in court at the February hearing, but Kukulies-Smith said his client wanted to attend.

Kyrgios was due to play at the Japan Open later on Tuesday against Taiwan’s Zeng Chong Xin.

Speaking in Tokyo before his case was returned to court, Kyrgios said it was “not hard at all” to focus on tennis despite the pending charge.

“I can control a lot of things and I take every step and deal with it off the court,” he told reporters. “I can only do what I can and I’m here in Tokyo and I’m just trying to play good tennis and keep that momentum and just try to do my job.”

Iga Swiatek, ranked number one, will not play in the Billie Jean King Cup and complained that the event should start immediately after the WTA final.

“I am disappointed that (the) tennis governing bodies have not reached an agreement on such a basic issue as the tournament calendar, giving us only one day to travel the world and change the time zone,” Swiatek wrote on the social network. MASS MEDIA. “This situation is unsafe for our health and could lead to injury.”

The WTA Finals, which closes the season on the women’s tennis tour and is for the top eight singles players and the top eight doubles teams, will be held in Fort Worth, Texas from October 31 to November 7. Billie Jean King Cup – Team The International Tennis Federation hosted the competition in Glasgow, Scotland from 8 to 13 November.

Swiatek, a 21-year-old from Poland, has established herself as a dominant force in women’s tennis. She is a three-time Grand Slam champion including the French Open in June and the US Open in September. These triumphs made her the first woman since 2016 to win two major titles in the same season.

Heading into the tournament she entered this week in Ostrava, Czech Republic, Swiatek is 57-7 with seven titles in 2022. She compiled a 37-match winning streak from February to July, which was the longest in the WTA in a quarter of a century. and helped her earn six trophies in a row.

Swiatek said she came to the decision to skip the Billie Jean King Cup after “thought it out for a long time and discussed it again with my team”.

Other 11 participating countries include Australia, Belgium, United Kingdom, Canada, Czech Republic, Italy, Kazakhstan, Spain, Slovakia, Switzerland and the United States.

As of now, other singles players eligible for the WTA Finals whose countries will compete in the Billie Jean King Cup include No. 4 Paula Badosa of Spain, No. 6 Jessica Pegula of the United States and No. 8 Coco Gauff. USA

Swiatek wrote that her rejection “makes me sad” and added, “I’m sorry because I play for Poland whenever possible and I always do my best.”

She said she plans to “talk to the WTA and ITF to make a difference. This situation is difficult not only for players like me, but mainly for the tennis fans who support our sport.”

ITF President David Haggerty said his group regrets that Swiatek will not be taking part in the team competition “and acknowledges that the schedule for two major tournaments at the end of the year is a challenge for players participating in both tournaments. We are working with the WTA to try and agree on suitable dates.”

Haggerty added that the ITF has changed the schedule for the BJK Cup Finals to allow teams like Poland and the US to start as late as possible.

“We intend to work with the WTA on the 2023 schedule,” Haggerty said in a statement released by the ITF, “so that we have a better transition between the two competitions.”

The WTA final was moved from Shenzhen, China, as part of the suspension of all tournaments in that country due to safety concerns for Peng Shuai, a Grand Slam doubles champion who accused a former Chinese government official of sexual assault.



Source: sports.nbcsports.com

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss