Latest Posts

Wimbledon Covid outbreak continues with third positive test

- Advertisement -

Covid outbreak at Wimbledon continues with third positive test – GETTY IMAGES
Covid outbreak at Wimbledon continues with third positive test – GETTY IMAGES

Roberto Bautista Agut became the third man to withdraw from Wimbledon after testing positive for Covid-19. The Spaniard was scheduled to play Colombia’s Daniel Galan, who is now in the third round.

- Advertisement -

His positive test comes after Matteo Berrettini and Marin Cilic was forced to withdraw from participation. their draws in the first round amid the current surge in cases in London and the UK.

- Advertisement -

The 17th seed wrote on Instagram: “Unfortunately, today I notified the organization. [sic] #Wimbledon about my withdrawal from the competition. Yesterday I felt unwell and tested positive for Covid-19. The symptoms are not very serious, but I think this is the best solution. Thank you all for your support always. I hope to be back on the court soon.”

- Advertisement -

Fears of a wide spread of infection in the locker rooms at SW19 were fueled by the first racket of France among women, Alize Cornet, who said that the virus was widespread earlier at Roland Garros.

Players are currently only being asked to get tested if they develop symptoms of Covid, in line with UK government guidelines. However, Wimbledon says it is monitoring the situation following the removal of the top names in the men’s bracket.

“As a major event, we are and continue to work with the UK Public Health Security Agency and local authorities,” a spokesman for the All England Club said on Tuesday.

“We support expanded hand cleaning and disinfection operations and offer full medical care to anyone who feels unwell. We are following UK guidelines for assessing and isolating any potential infectious disease. Our medical player team also continues to wear face masks during any consultations. “

The vast majority of players are vaccinated at Wimbledon. One of the few to snub the kick is Novak Djokovic, who earlier this week criticized the US Open over its policy of allowing all Americans to play even though he is not allowed to travel.

Djokovic said he had been corresponding with Tennis Sandgren since the American said he thought it was “shameful” that the USTA was helping a Serbian get the green light to compete.

Answering questions from Serbian journalists, he added: “A few days ago I corresponded with Tennis Sandgren. I wanted to thank him for the public support he gave me in this situation. not allowed to participate in the US Open, then everyone should be like that. I don’t see any medical logic in this that Tennis can play because he’s a US citizen and I can’t.”

Djokovic was deported from Melbourne in January due to his single-minded but controversial stance, forcing him to withdraw from his 10th Australian Open title challenge.



Source: sports.yahoo.com

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss